Last updated 8 May 2020
Making Quiche Lorraine – an easy motorhome meal
This is a recipe for the road and it’s a super easy motorhome meal. It becomes a little more rustic than normal as we are cooking in a motorhome, not in a perfect kitchen scenario.
It shows though, that eating when travelling in this way doesn’t have to be basic and you can still eat great food, making do with the utensils and implements you can find close at hand.
On any motorhome road trip, we love to buy our food and ingredients at local markets. In countries such as France, where fresh, seasonal food is always so easy to find, it would be such a shame not to eat it and cook with it. As we pull up each evening, our motorhome meal is often a representation of the simple, fresh fare found all over France.
Our Quiche Lorraine can be eaten hot or served cold the next day.
- Diced bacon (lardons)
- One onion or French shallots
- 4 eggs
- Crème fraîche
- Pastry for the base (this recipe uses store-bought pastry as it is easier when road tripping)
- Brown the bacon and onion in a pan with a little butter until golden. Don't overcook. Drain the excess fat from the pan using paper towel.
- Beat four eggs (this will depend on the size of your dish), with some cream. Add a hearty helping of crème fraîche.
- Season with salt and pepper to suit your own taste. Note I didn't add the salt as the lardons are quite salty.
- Add your cheese of choice. I used Comté but Gruyère is also great.
- Bake for around 30 minutes in a normal oven. In the motorhome, being cooked in a pan on a gas cooktop takes a while longer. Because the heat is coming only from a raw flame on the bottom, I needed to manage it carefully so the top would cook and the bottom wouldn't burn.
- Once the egg is set, let it cool slightly and remove from the dish.
- We served our Quiche Lorraine with a simple salad of green leaves, tomato and a mustard dressing.
The longest part of this process is just waiting for the quiche mix to cook through on the stove top.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1440Total Fat: 95gSaturated Fat: 48gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 38gCholesterol: 960mgSodium: 1685mgCarbohydrates: 88gFiber: 6gSugar: 34gProtein: 58g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix.