Eating our way around Oahu
To those who know us, this is nothing new. Enjoying and experiencing food when we travel is one of the biggest components of our trip. As such, much planning usually goes into it to ensure that we don’t miss the key places we want to visit. It’s also about gathering culinary intelligence and inspiration from what we see and eat to enable us to come back home and cook it (or a version of it). So, without further ado, here’s my summary of eating our way around O’ahu.
- Beach Bar under the Banyan Tree – Moana Surfrider. A stunning view across the ocean towards Diamond Head, and a gorgeous location under the enormous Banyan Tree.
- Mai Tai Bar at the Royal Hawaiian (Pink Palace). Another stunning location – aren’t they all !
- Keoni’s – 2375 Kuhio Ave Honolulu
- Mai Tai Bar (another one !) at the Ala Moana Shopping Centre
There are so many great places to find food in the Ala Moana district too. Consider taking a dedicated food tour of just this area.
- Legends Sports Bar – 411 Nahua St Honolulu
Owned by John and with barman Mike, this is a great local hangout, where you can mix easily with the locals and have happy hour all day long.
- Udon Marakame – 2310 Kuhio Ave Honolulu. Awesome udon noodles served here. Don’t worry about the long lines, the service is efficient.
- Odoriko – 2400 Koa Ave Honolulu. Good Japanese in central Waikiki.
- Mike’s Huli Chicken Truck – 47-525 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaneohe
- Rumfire – Sheraton Waikiki. Fantastic location and a great club at night. Shame about the service. Worst in Waikiki.
- Yardhouse – 226 Lewers St Honolulu. Extensive menu and over 132 beers and ciders on tap.
- Kapiolani Community College Farmers Market
Other places we ate at in O’ahu
- House Without a Key
- Il Lupino Trattoria and Wine Bar
- Siam Square
- Duke’s Canoe Club Waikiki
- Lucky Belly
- Cholos Mexican
- Leonard’s Bakery
Along the way there was plenty of adhoc sampling, and plenty of fresh fruit eaten in our own condo each day. The island of O’ahu put on an amazing food experience for us and I think we did everything we could to do it justice. Thanks O’ahu!
We stayed at a condo in Waikiki, but there are also an abundance of great hotels to stay in also.
4 thoughts on “Great places to eat in Honolulu and Oahu”
I think I would be there too if i lived there Amanda!
The yard house happy hour is my favorite! I’m there about once a week! Amanda
Thanks Melody ! Had lots of fun eating here that’s for sure.
I want to eat my way around Oahu with you! What fun! You look so pretty in that floral attire. Nice selection of foods.